Skip to main content

tv   Prime News  HLN  July 10, 2009 5:00pm-7:00pm EDT

5:00 pm
she pulled a fast one! ( laughs ) new windex outdoor all-in-one. a streak-free shine in half the time. s.c. johnson, a family company. new this hour, top-secret documents, did michael jackson pop more than ten xanax pills a night. security guards say jackson took prescription drugs in his employees' names, even traveled to other states to find doctors to sedate him. and stunning revelations for two politicians swept up in sex scandals. new e-mails saying mark sanford wanted extra time with his argentina mistress on a state-funded trip. and john ensign's family paid off his other woman nearly 100 grand, even sent a check to her husband and kids. you're an important part of this show. give us a call, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:01 pm
e-mail us at cnn.com/primenews. or text us at hlntv, start your message with the word prime. this is your chance to be heard. -- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com welcome once again. i'm vinnie politan in for mike galanos. this is "prime news." secret files on michael jackson. the documents are dated back to 2004. california detectives investigating jackson stumbled on what could be a dark, disturbing obsession with prescription drugs. former security guards told them the king of pop would take huge doses of xanax, more than ten pills a night. they even said jackson traveled out of state just to get more prescriptions. right now we're waiting for a coroner's report on whether jackson's death will be ruled a homicide. could there be criminal charges down the road. joining me now to talk about all this, natisha lance, a producer for "nancy grace." and anita kaye, a defense
5:02 pm
attorney and former prosecutor. natisha, let's start with you. 2004, all this stuff that's coming out. what are we learning now about michael jackson and prescription drugs? >> just like you mentioned, vinnie, we're hearing that michael jackson took ten xanax pills a night. this is coming from one security guard, when he found out about this information he went to another staffer who said, michael jackson's actually doing a lot better because he used to be taking 30 to 40 pills a night to get to sleep. >> 30 to 40 a night? >> 30 to 40 pills per night to get to sleep, to get some rest. now, they're also saying michael medications. these prescription medications. this one security guard also talked about an incident where michael jackson was in a hotel, he fell on his face. he confronted michael jackson saying he needed to get help.
5:03 pm
michael jackson denied having a problem. the security guard ended up leaving because he was being asked to get prescriptions for michael jackson under his name. and he wasn't willing to do it. >> unbelievable. unbelievable. and if this pattern continued, anita kaye, and michael jackson is the one who is spearheading all of this, fg around, traveling to other states, finding other doctors, getting other people to use their names for the prescriptions, perhaps that's good news if you're one of michael jackson's doctors. in a criminal investigation. because it seems like michael jackson is the one who's in charge of all this. >> well, maybe not, vinnie, because here's the problem. the security guards, or anyone that's working for michael jackson, going in to a doctor and getting prescriptions for michael jackson, what they're doing is a crime. you can't go get a prescription for someone else, saying, i need this, and i'm going to give it to this person. and the doctors, depending on what unfolds, the doctors may have known, oh, mr. security guard is coming in, but wink
5:04 pm
wink, i know this is really for michael jackson, but i can't keep writing all these prescriptions for him. then the doctors are going to be in trouble. there is going to be some responsibility. so we're going to need to see more -- what uncovers and what unfolds regarding that. >> so the key fact becomes what did the doctor know? did the doctor know this was all wink wink for michael jackson, or maybe he thought he was treating someone who was feigning some sort of problem? >> here's the thing. let's say we just have one doctor who keeps seeing all these people who work for michael jackson. and prescribes a bunch of michael jackson employees xanax. well, now, that is really suspicious. the you're telling me all these employees need xanax? that's going to be highly unusual. if there are different doctors all over the condition tri that be maybe just prescribing it once, that could be a different situation. and also, what dosage and how many. xanax is very powerful. it's not something that doctors
5:05 pm
routinely are just doling out like they do penicillin. if they're prescribing huge amounts, that's something that the doctors -- >> that's a problem also. absolutely. natisha, now, we know all this information dates back to 2004. the reason it's significant, it sort of sets a pattern for the way michael jackson was leading his life in the final years. but at this point, do we know how many doctors are being investigated, or questioned by los angeles authorities, the dea and everyone else who is looking at this case, the death of michael jackson? >> we can't say for certain how apparently was and if he hasn't already been questioned, i'm sure that he will be questioned by authorities sometime soon.
5:06 pm
>> you know, anita, if i look at this case and if we look at who's getting what here, from the doctors' perspective, what we're all wondering here is, is someone else responsible for the death of michael jackson and is this case going to end up being a homicide investigation. from that perspective, the doctors, does it really go to the records that the doctors have or getting a smoking gun that a dr. knows he's doing something he knows he's not supposed to be doing? >> it will come down to the records, how much medication these doctors are prescribing and to whom and tracing where that medication goes. and then that's how the police can link up that this doctor knew what was going to michael jackson or didn't know it was going to michael jackson. the other thing is, when we look at all these different doctors, let's look at who these doctors are. you have a dermatologist. is it typical or routine that dermatologists are prescribing xanax? in the same way maybe your primary care physician would who treats a lot of people for anxiety which is what xanax is
5:07 pm
used for versus a dermatologist. that's something to consider. the medical board may very well get involved on their own, and uncover things, because certain doctors shouldn't be prescribing medications at such a large amount. so they could get in trouble, the doctors, just as a medical board, not even in a criminal arena. that's something separate. >> this is going to be a big investigation. i'm looking at it from the eyes of a prosecutor. i used to be a prosecutor years ago. it just seems like it's going to be complicated, difficult to figure out what these doctors really knew. more on jackson, give us a call, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:08 pm
5:09 pm
a welcome back to "prime
5:10 pm
news." there has been a lot of talk that michael jackson is getting trashed by the media. that includes members of his family, his friends. what do you think? is the king of pop getting a bad rap? call in, 1-877-tell-hln. taking your phone calls on michael jackson. could his death be ruled an accidental overdose or a homicide? and a new custody hearing on the kids, what's next for his children. give us a call, 1-877-tell-hln. natisha lance, let's talk a little bit about 2004, all these drugs are found. and -- but it all had to do with the investigation into the molestation allegations, right? >> correct. there was a huge raid that went on at neverland ranch. that is where they obtained all of this information. they also apparently obtained numerous prescription drugs, many of which did not have any labels on them, and after the trial ended, michael jackson was allowed to get the items back that were seized. however, he was not allowed to take back any of the contraband, including these prescription
5:11 pm
drugs, any syringes or these i.v.s that allegedly had a milky white substance in them. >> dr. moroney, thank you for joining us, doctor. we're waiting for the toxicology report to come back. right? >> yes. >> the chief of police out in l.a., chief bratton today said, we're waiting for the medical examiner to find out, was this an accidental overdose, is this a homicide. what will be in that toxicology that would make someone say, hey, this is homicide? >> if drugs are used inappropriately, if drugs are used off-label, then they're used outside of what we call scope of practice, or good practice. and anybody administering something that they should have no business giving could be at risk for manslaughter or homicide. and here's the key. the laws have changed in this country. and if you supply drugs to
5:12 pm
somebody and they die, you are at risk. and it's the same for every citizen. >> okay. so in this case, let's take, for instance, everyone's talking about the diprivan. if in fact they find diprivan in his system, he wasn't hospitalized, he was at home. would that be an a off-label, or a misuse of that drug? >> 100% right. that is selected just for use in a hospital. if you're using it to sleep and you're giving it to sleep, you're using it off-label. that is not an fda indication, it's not approved for people with insomnia, it's approved to go into surgery. so whoever would be giving it, they also have to complete certain things like charts, medical records. there has to be prescription logs. and mixing that with inappropriate nar can cot iks, opiates, xanax, oxycontin, all
5:13 pm
those things mixed together, that would be a poor practice. and it would be something the medical boards would take away somebody's license for, at the very least. >> at the very least. and perhaps at that point it becomes a homicide investigation. we've got rachel in new hampshire. good evening, rachel. >> caller: good evening. >> you're on the air, rachel. >> caller: yes. i'm calling because i'm going back to the 2004 incident when they went in and raided his home. and the police department seized all that contraband and all those drugs. and nobody did nothing then. the police department could have done something. they could have probed an investigation into the illegal use of drugs. and this man could probably be alive today. how come they didn't -- once the molestation case was over why didn't they get him for illegal use of drugs and go after the drugs then. >> that's a great question. the whole case was a sexual
5:14 pm
molestation investigation. why they didn't do something with the drugs, only the prosecutors would know the answer to that question. rachel, thanks so much for the call. thanks to our guests tonight. we'll talk about the shocking sex scandals. this is cnn heroes. >> now i feel not that great. it's not easy to carry around this weight. i wanted to get healthy and fit. >> where did we go wrong as a country where pe in school is no longer a priority. our children's health is no longer our priority. something had to be done, and i just decided to be the one to do it. my name is pamela green-jackson and my organization is a physical fitness and nutrition education program for elementary and middle school in our
5:15 pm
community. he didn't have to die. so i promised myself that i would do whatever i could to make sure that another child didn't suffer like he did. so what we've done is converted vacant classrooms and turned them into health clubs. this is a free program. we have personal trainers. dietitions that work with them. we allow each individual child to set their own goals. >> she's my hero. because she's always helping me to do things that i never thought i can do. >> we instill the habits in them early, then they will grow up and become healthier adults. that's really what this is all about, is saving the lives of children.
5:16 pm
5:17 pm
5:18 pm
shocking accusations of a racism at a swim club near philadelphia. a lot of people are asking, were they really kicked out because of their skin color? here's susan candiotti from our sister network, cnn. >> reporter: swimming once a week at the spacious huntingdon valley club near philadelphia. it sounded eye teal for 65 kids described as black and hispanic at a summer camp. >> i was excited. the parents and children were excited. >> reporter: but when the youngsters showed up at the pool june 29th after the day camp signed and paid a $1,900 contract, this happened. >> the children came running down the hill saying, miss wright, miss wright, those people up there are saying, what are those black kids doing in that pool. >> reporter: he was sitting outside the pool and heard white adults say this. >> it was like, why are these
5:19 pm
black kids here. then they were saying, i'm afraid they might do something to my children because i don't know if they might try to steal some of my stuff or like try to harm my children. like i was amazed they would say something like this, because we're just like you. like we're just like your kids. >> not enough room. >> reporter: mrs. wright said the swim club's director told her he was embarrassed, held an emergency board meeting and called her the next day to say they could not come back. >> he said the membership said, let the chips fall where they may. >> you know, marcus, i see tears coming down your face. why does this make you cry? >> because it's kind of like sad that, like people are still thinking like this. we thought these days were over. >> this is 2009. children should not be subjected to that. >> reporter: the swim club's director is quoted by local media saying the day camp kids
5:20 pm
changed the "atmosphere and complexion of the club." a club member reacted. >> i'll be asking for the president of the club's resignation today, because i think the comment he made, although taken out of context, was probably one of the stupidest comments i've ever heard. >> reporter: he claims the club was simply overcrowded, not racist. he said two other unidentified day camps both non-minority also got the boot. senator arlen spector put the club on notice saying, "without getting into all the legal issues, it is my suggestion that you promptly reinstate the contract and welcome mrs. wright's group back to the pool. whether they accept is up to them. " the club issued a response denying race had anything to do with their decision. "we underestimated the capacity of our facilities. our valley club deplores discrimination in any form. " susan candiotti, cnn, hunti
5:21 pm
huntingdon valley. she spoke with the swim club's president shortly after filing that report. here's what he had to say. >> i apologize deeply for my misunderstanding. it was never our intention to hurt anyone or for anyone to be offended here. this is a terrible misunderstanding. i would actually, i would send my best wishes to the camp, all the camps, really. because they have gotten an outpouring of support from all over the country. >> and they deserve it. she's doing wonderful work giving these children a safe place to be. which is what we were trying to do also. >> we did a little digging. the outpouring they're talking about coming over from the girard college in philadelphia, they opened the pool to the 65 campers for the rest of the summer. now, this story, dante stalworth hit and killed a pedestrian, a night of drinking, sentenced to just 30 days. 
5:22 pm
5:23 pm
5:24 pm
5:25 pm
5:26 pm
5:27 pm
5:28 pm
5:29 pm
5:30 pm
you're an important part of this show. we want to know what you think. call us at 1-877-tell-hln. shoot us an e-mail at our website cnn.com/primenews. or text your comment to hlntv. that's 45688. start your message with the word prime. we'll be showing your text messages throughout the day. two politicians caught cheating on their wives. we're just getting new shocking details about their steamy affairs. senator john ensign of nevada admits his mistress received nearly $100,000, but only as a "gift." did his family pay her off? and hundreds of e-mails just released on south carolina governor mark sanford. state records show he cleared his schedule at least one
5:31 pm
evening on a state-funded trip. neither of these guys are stepping down. is this a new low even for washington? give us a call, 1-877-tell-hln. joining me to talk about all this, alex, a deputy editor at cnn politics.com. he's also author of the novel "lovesick. "also with us, tara fields, a marriage and family therapist. and andy barr, a reporter at politico. andy, i want to start with you and this # $00,000. now, i have seen cases where politicians and money being exchanged. it happened in new york not too long ago. but this is a little different than that, right? >> it's very different from that. the money comes from ensign's parents, paid off $96,000 to the wife, the husband and to the two kids and $12,000 inkre also. there was the $25,000 severance leave when she left his campaign organization. so a lot of money going back and forth. multiple payments over long periods of time.
5:32 pm
this is still unraveling. >> these two -- these people knew each other, right? ensign and his wife knew his mistress and her husband. they worked -- describe that relationship. it's very unique. >> they worked and knew each other for years. both the mistress and the mistress' husband worked for ensign on the campaign and in his office there in nevada. and so there are lots of connections between the two. that's the less seemly part of this, the wife knew the mistress, and the mistress knew the wife. the husband is doing interviews with the las vegas sun all the time. he's out there trying to get other networks to report on this. he is really driving this story. so a lot of involvement, a lot of connections. >> unbelievable. alex, how do you think that phone call went? yeah, dad, i need $100,000. right? this is bizarre. is this only in vegas?
5:33 pm
>> well, there's a problem right getting this kind of impression of men and how they approach marriage, and why you take somebody like senator ensign who has had a platform that stands on keeping promises, strong marriages, having a lot of religion in his family, and being kind of the way that held the family together. and then you see something like this, and it really shakes us kind of to our core. it really kind of changes our perception how we feel about men and marriage. >> tara, as we look at these men, and what they're doing, they're in such high-profile positions, you know? and this stuff becomes important. because it talks about character. when people are electing an official, for some people character means a lot. >> oh, absolutely. >> why do they risk it all, tara? >> for many reasons. you know, when it comes to men
5:34 pm
could. about it. i want to address something else that your guests said. these men are cheating with women. so they are just as culpable. these men couldn't cheat if these women were not available. and i think what really makes the story so just despicable is that with ensign, it's that the husband is going around saying, wasn't this terrible? but he is the one who is saying, i'll accept the money. not only will i accept the money, saying that's what makes it go away, makes it okay, but i will accept it in my children's name. what kind of a message is that to give the next generation of little boys? >> unbelievable. alex, and these guys aren't stepping down. sanford's not going to step down, after his argentina thing.
5:35 pm
and this guy's not stepping down. are we at a point now where the public is so used to this, you just list the names, spitzer, bill clinton, he was president of the united states. do we not care anymore, voters? >> to some extent it doesn't matter on what side of the political spectrum that this is happening. and it is a bit shocking when they don't necessarily step down. given that their entire platform, or the core of what they came to power and everything that was all about their -- the way they run their lives and the way they run their administration have to deal with those very issues. the real issue is, what is going to happen to the political careers of these people. yes, maybe they stay in office. yes, maybe they get reelected. but probably not. how are they going to be defined moving forward? these men, in particular, it's not only men that have this problem, but men right now in very public, powerful positions, their careers are going to be defined by this lack of credibility, and this -- these indiscretions. >> i want to jump in here and
5:36 pm
say, you know what, what people don't ups is it's not just that they had an affair, but these men are similar to people that have substance addictions, alcohol, drugs, because if someone's a love or sex addict, they're not present with what they're doing. they're cheating to get their fix. they're lying. they are not really doing what they can do, because their thoughts are about how do i get that next fix. so i don't think -- >> the one thing, though, with sanford, it seems like he found his soulmate, although he's not with his soulmate, he's back trying to work things out with his wife. we want to hear from you, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:37 pm
5:38 pm
5:39 pm
sex scandals and politicians, it's nothing new. but it's still very confusing, because these are people, these are men who have their eyes on bigger offices, and want to become either president, senator, governor. and they want all this power. they want the admiration of the public. yet they keep getting caught up in these types of scandals. still with us is -- from the -- andy barr from politico. governor sanford now, has he used tax money, has he used taxpayer money to fund his affairs? where is this investigation going now? >> there was one instance they
5:40 pm
found where he used taxpayer money to meet up with his mistress. his office says they're going to pay that back. people are still combing through the documents, though. there were other rendezvouses, examples where he got together with her here or in argentina. they're still combing through the records when he may have used taxpayer funds. any instance of that, beyond that initial one, is just band news for him. he's obviously going to have to pay it back and face some charges in the state, maybe even impeachment charges from the state senate there. >> alex, i was a prosecutor. if someone came into court and said, i robbed a bank, but here, mr. prosecutor, here's the money, you can have it back now, can i go? is that what politicians think happen? you get caught and just pay them back? >> i'm a lawyer as well, so i confess that up front. i agree with you, i think that just because you're con trite, just because you reveal you made a mistake, or that you're willing to pay back and make
5:41 pm
good, that doesn't necessarily fix the problem. ultimately there may be a lot of pressure on these individuals to step down. if they choose not to, they've done huge, huge damage to the institution of marriage, to their constituenciy, to the country really. because they sent a message out there saying, while i believe one thing, i necessarily may do another. there is the hypocrisy with that. many of the men in this country want commitment, want to have that type of relationship, dream of having a partner in their life. it's a shame when some of the highest politicians in this country do something like this. this is the most public image of marriage. >> and forget just the public, what are they modeling for their sons and children.
5:42 pm
paid for not dealing with feelings. and they want to be better fathers to their sons. and again, with both of these men, i think about the damage to their sons. sanford's sons, every single father's day, they are going to have that reminder. spl absolutely. where was dad for father's day? let's take a phone call. we have theresa in new york. theresa, you're on the air. >> caller: the problem is the marriages become a business. and the love is not -- the love is there, but they don't get into one another anymore. >> i think i know what you mean there, teresa. tara, how about that, the fact that maybe there has to be this public face of what the marriage should be, and even though we're having problems and maybe we shouldn't be apart, they stay together a little bit longer to take the picture for the campaign photo. >> i think that's true. and i also think it's really important for women to set boundaries and be a good role model as well. you know, i can predict when a
5:43 pm
couple comes into therapy and there's been an affair, within the first session which couple can make it and which can't. the man who comes in and says, oh, well, you know, gee, i'm just going to try, i really love you. or the one who comes in and says, this is terrible, this is shameful, i will do whatever it takes to make it work. and even though this was an awful thing, make it's a wakeup call for us to see there were problems within the marriage. >> tara, andy, we're out of time. thanks so much to all of you. have a great night. there's been talk that michael jackson is getting trashed by the media. that includes members of his family, his friends. but what do you think? is the king of pop getting that bad rap? give us a call, 1-877-tell-hln.
5:44 pm
5:45 pm
5:46 pm
the death of michael jackson is all over the news. but some people aren't happy with the coverage and say the media are trashing the late pop icon. "prime news" correspondent richelle carey is looking at "what matters." >> first, good news. when it comes to our economy, african-americans are getting help to sort through the president's economic stimulus plan. the congressional black caucus foundation has put together a resource guide that highlights the plan's impact on the black community, especially when it comes to employment, housing and health care. the guide shows which areas are receiving money to stimulate the economy. shocking news when it comes to fighting cancer. a first of its kind study published in the journal of the national cancer institute said african-americans are less likely than whites to survive breast cancer, prostate and ovarian cancer even when they received identical treatment. researchers say the findings add to growing evidence that
5:47 pm
biological factors may play a role in the survival gap. michael jackson, he was a lot of things, singer, dancer, philanthropist, all of these things have been discussed in the days after his death. but has the media focused more on the negative than the positive. some think so. >> i have seen other musical icons die, where there were serious questions about them, and i've never seen it dominate the news before their funeral, and dominate it to the point that people forgot their greatness. and even now a lot of those answers never came out about allegations in their life. and we still exhaust their artistry. all we're asking for is fairness. >> joining me now, brian monroe, cnn contributor. he also conducted the last interview with michael jackson. lauren lake, entertainment reporter and attorney. thank you both for joining me. after that, reverend sharpton
5:48 pm
went on to say he sees a double standard when you compare michael jackson to people like elvis, frank sinatra and some of the negative things that happened in their lives. lauren, you go first. >> in the way there is a double standard. i mean, i think this time around, they are doing a number on michael jackson. i feel like a lot of emphasis is being focused on things that weren't proven, like the sexual abuse charges, versus things that are proven. his philanthropy, the way he's broken down racial barriers, his music business savvy and the way he just really blew us away with his talent. so i feel like in a way, we need to back up off of him for a moment and think of this man as if it was our own uncle or father. we don't want to hear all the things they did wrong upon their death, we want to talk about and celebrate the things they did right. >> i agree to some extent. i think reverend sharpton made a fine point there was too much focus on the negative. and the other side, congressman
5:49 pm
from new york who not only indicted, but convicted the man of charges that he was actually acquitted on. by calling him a pervert, and other really salacious terms. after the fact that michael was acquitted of all 14 of those charges back in the trial in santa barbara. but michael jackson, and i saw this when i sat down with him, was one of the most complex people i've ever talked to. a brilliant, brilliant, creative force. he knew music. he knew literature. he was also an amazing talented dancer. he would get calls from his mentor, fred astaire. i remember he told me once about michael calling him after -- i mean, he calling michael after the famous motown 25 performance and just saying he watched him that night. he recorded it. he watched it the next morning and knocked people's socks off. he was also a father. and a brother. he was complicated. >> let's get in a caller right now. i believe our caller is linda or mary?
5:50 pm
linda is calling us from me vad a. what do you think? >> caller: i think they are trashing him. they're questioning the parentage of his children. which is no one's business. number two, business. number two, they're asking people about what they said, somebody said this, somebody said this, but there's no proof. the person that said he was taking 50 xanax and walking around, that's not true. i'm an rn, and i work with addicts, that is not a true statement. >> okay. linda, thank you for your phone call. i think some people are talking about the tabloid coverage, laura and brian, but we've got to be real. there's also a death investigation here that could end up being a criminal investigation. these are some things that are not pretty that fans may not want to talk about, but where does that fit into the discussion? where does that fit into the reporting, brian? >> you know, there are serious issues at stake here. were there doctors involved that may have overprescribed him medication or helped get prescriptions in other people's names?
5:51 pm
serious issues about, you know, was he pushing himself too hard at the end or was he in fact, as i've talked to people who were there rehearsing with him in those last days, getting ready for the concert, that he was in top form, he was energetic, passionate, outdancing some of the 125-year-old25-year-olds. there are a lot of things that are going to be looked into in the next few days. but the other thing, i'm trained as a journalist, you're a journalist. we have to go by first what did we see, what do we report, and what do we get from reputable sources that we can stake our reputation on. and not the hearsay and all the other things that are floating around. and there's a lot of that floating around. but we have to keep focused on what do we know or what do we know from reputable sources? >> all right. laur lauren, brian, don't go anywhere. we also want to know what do you think, are the media trashing michael jackson? we know you have views on this. call 1-877-tell-hln.
5:52 pm
5:53 pm
5:54 pm
5:55 pm
5:56 pm
5:57 pm
5:58 pm
5:59 pm
i'm sorry. i can't hear you very well. announcer: does someone you know have trouble hearing on the phone? dad. dad, let me help you with that, okay? announcer: now, a free phone service shows captions of everything a caller says. i'd like to make an appointment to see the doctor. announcer: to learn more about captioned telephone, call 1-800-552-7724 or go to our website.
6:00 pm
i'll see you at 3:00! announcer: captioned telephone - enjoy the phone again! new this hour, top secret documents suggest michael jackson popped more than ten xanax pills a night. security guards say jackson took prescription drugs in his employees' names, even traveled to other states to find doctors to sedate him. and stunning revelations for two politicians swept up in sex scandals. new e-mails suggest governor mark sanford wanted some extra time with his argentina mistress on a state-funded trip. and a new report that senator john ensign's family paid off his other woman nearly 100 grand, even sent the check to her husband and kids. you're an important part of this
6:01 pm
show. give us a call. 1-877-tell-hln. e-mail us at cnn.com/primenews. or text us at hlntv, start your message with the word "prime." this is your chance to be heard. >> controversy, opinion, your point of view. this is "prime news." welcome once again. i'm vinnie politan in for mike galanos. this is "prime news." secret files on michael jackson. the documents are dated back to 2004. california detectives investigating jackson stumbled on what could be a dark, disturbing obsession with prescription drugs. former security guards told them the king of pop would take huge doses of xanax, more than ten pills a night. they even said jackson traveled out of state just to get more prescriptions. right now we're waiting on a coroner's report for whether jackson's death will be ruled a homicide. could there be criminal charges downtown road? joining me to talk about all this, natisha lance, a producer
6:02 pm
for nancy grace, and anita kay, a defense attorney and former prosecutor. all right, natisha, let's start with you. 2004, all this stuff is coming out. what are we learning now about michael jackson and prescription drugs? >> well, just like you mentioned, vinnie, we're hearing that michael jackson took ten xanax pills a night. this is coming from one security guard. when he found out about this information, he went to another staffer, who said, well, michael jackson's actually doing a lot better because he used to be taking 30 to 40 pills per night to -- >> 30 to 40 a night? >> 30 to 40 pills per night to get to sleep to get some rest. and he was down to 10 a night. michael jackson would travel florida, to different doctors in order to get his hands on some of these medications, these prescription medications. this one security guard also talked about an incident where michael jackson was in his hotel, he fell on his face. he confronted michael jackson, saying that he needed to get
6:03 pm
help. michael jackson denied having a problem. and the security guard ended up leaving because he was being asked to get prescriptions for michael jackson under his name and he wasn't willing to do it. >> unbelievable. unbelievable. and if this pattern continued, anita kay, and michael jackson is the one who's spearheading all this, going around, traveling to other states, finding other doctors, getting other people to use their names for the prescriptions, perhaps that's good news if you're one of michael jackson's doctors in the criminal investigation because it seems like michael jackson is the one who's in charge of all this. >> well, maybe not, vinnie, because here's the problem. the security guards or anyone that's working for michael jackson, going in to a doctor and get prescriptions for michael jackson, what they're doing is a crime. you can't go get a prescription for someone else, saying i need this and i'm going to give it to this person. and the doctors, depending on what unfolds, the doctors may
6:04 pm
have known, oh, mr. security guard is coming in but wink wink, i know this is really for michael jackson, but i can't keep writing all these prescriptions for him. then the doctors are going to be in trouble. there is going to be some responsibility. so we're going to see more what uncovers and what unfolds regarding that. >> so anita, from what you're saying the key fact becomes what did the doctor know. did the doctor know that this was all wink wink for michael jackson? or maybe he thought he was treating someone else who was feigning some sort of problem in order to get more of these xanax pills or whatever medications they're looking for. >> absolutely. now, here's the thing. let's say we just have one doctor who keeps seeing all these people who work for michael jackson and prescribed a bunch of michael jackson employees xanax. well, now that is really suspicious. you're telling me all these employees need xanax? that's going to be highly unusual. if there are different doctors all over the country that are maybe just prescribing it once, you know, that could be a different situation. and also, what dosage and how many? i mean, xanax is very powerful.
6:05 pm
it's not something that doctors routinely are just doling out like they do penicillin. so if they're prescribing huge amounts, that's something that the doctors -- >> that's a problem also. absolutely. natisha, now, we know all this information dates back to 2004, but the reason it's significant, it sort of sets a pattern for the way michael jackson was leading his life in the final years. but at this point do we know how many doctors are being investigated or questioned by los angeles authorities, the d.e.a. and everyone else who's looking at this care, the death of michael jackson? >> we can't say for certain how mentioned all over the country far. ago. apparently was subpoenaed, jackson. hasn't already been
6:06 pm
questioned i'm sure he'll be questioned by authorities sometime soon. >> you know, anita, if i look at this case and we look at who's getting what here, i mean, from the doctor's perspective -- because what we're all wondering here, is somebody else responsible for the death of michael jackson and is this case going to end up being a homicide investigation? from that perspective, from the doctors, does it really go to the records that the doctors have or somehow getting a smoking gun where a doctor knows he's doing something he's not supposed to be doing? >> well, vinnie, it's going to start with the records because that's going to reveal a lot as to how much medication these doctors are prescribing and to whom and then tracing where that medication goes. and then that's how the police can link up that this doctor knew it was going to michael jackson or didn't know it was going to michael jackson. and the other thing is when we look at all these different doctors, let's look at who these doctors are. you know, you have a dermatologist. is it typical or routine that dermatologists are prescribing xanax? in the same way maybe your primary care physician would who treats a lot of people for
6:07 pm
anxiety, which is what xanax is used for, versus a dermatologist. so that's something to consider. and the medical board may well get involved on their own and uncover things because certain doctors shouldn't be prescribing medications at such a large amount. so they could get in trouble, the doctors, just with the medical board, not even in a criminal arena. that's something separate. >> this is going to be a big investigation. i'm looking at it from the eyes of a prosecutor. i used to be a prosecutor years ago. it just seems it's going to be complicated and difficult to figure out what these doctors really knew. more on jackson, give's a call. 1-877-tell-hln.
6:08 pm
6:09 pm
6:10 pm
welcome back to "prime news." there has been a lot of talk that michael jackson is getting trashed by the media. that includes members of his family, his friends. what do you think? is the king of pop getting a bad rap? call in. 1-877-tell-hln. back now taking your phone calls on michael jackson. could his death be ruled an accidental overdose or a homicide? and a new custody hearing on the kids. what's next for his children? again, give us a call. 1-877-tell-hln. natisha los angeles, let's talk a little about 2004, all these drugs are found, but it all had to do with the investigation into the molestation allegations, right? >> correct. there was a huge raid that went on at neverland ranch, and that is where they obtained all this information. they also apparently obtained numerous prescription drugs, many of which did not have any labels on them. and after the trial ended michael jackson was allowed to get the items back that were seized. however, he was not allowed to take back any of the contraband
6:11 pm
including these prescription drugs, any syringes or any of the ivs that allegedly had a milky white substance in them. >> dr. william morrone joins us now, pharmacologist and examiner. we're all waiting for the toxicology to come back, right in we're waiting for the toxicology. and the chief of police out in l.a., chief bratton said today while we're waiting for the medical examiner to find out was this an accidental overdose, is this a homicide, what will be in that toxicology that would make someone say hey, this is homicide? >> if drugs are used inappropriately, if drugs are used off label, then they're used outside of what we call scope of practice or good practice. and anybody administering something that they should have no business giving could be at risk for manslaughter or homicide. and here's the key. the laws have changed in this country, and if you supply drugs
6:12 pm
to somebody and they die you are at risk. and it's the same for every citizen. >> so in this case let's take, for instance, everyone's talking about the diprivan. if in fact they find diprivan in the system. he wasn't hospitalized. he was at home. would that be an off-label, or a misuse of that drug? >> 100% right. that is selected just for use in a hospital. and if you're using it to sleep and if you're giving it to sleep, you're using it off label. that is not an fda indication. it's not approved for people with insomnia. it's approved to go into surgery. so whoever would be giving it, they also have to complete certain things like charts, medical records. there have to be prescription logs. and mixing that with inappropriate narcotics, opium,
6:13 pm
xanax, oxycontin, all those things mixed together, that would be poor practice and it would be something the medical boards would take away somebody's license for at the very least. >> at the very least. and perhaps at that point it becomes a homicide investigation. let's go to a phone caller. we've got rachel in new hampshire. good evening, rachel. >> caller: good evening. >> you're on the air, rachel. >> caller: yes. i'm calling because i'm going back to the 2004 incident when they went in and they raid his home. and the police department seized all that contraband and all those drugs. and nobody did nothing, and the police department could have done two things. they could have probed an investigation into the illegal use of drugs that doctors had been giving to patients, and this man could probably be alive today. how come they didn't -- once the molestation case was over, how come they didn't go forward and get him for illegal use of prescription drugs and go after the doctors then? why now? >> rachel, that's a great question. the whole case was a sexual
6:14 pm
molestation investigation, and that was the focus of the investigation. why they didn't do something, i guess only prosecutors would know the answer to that question. but great point, great call. rachel. thanks so much to our guests for joining us tonight. we appreciate your time. wow. coming up, we're going to talk about these shocking sex scandals. >> announcer: this is "cnn heroes." >> not that great. not easy to carry around all this weight. i wanted to get healthy and fit. >> where did we go wrong as a country where p.e. in school is no longer a priority? our children's health is no longer a priority. something had to be done, and i just decided to be the one to do it. my name is pamela green-jackson, and my organization is a physical fitness and nutritional education program for elementary and middle school youth in my community. my brother bernard died at age
6:15 pm
43 at a weight of 427 pounds. he didn't have to die. and so i promised myself that i would do whatever i could to make sure that another child didn't suffer like he did. >> another ten seconds. >> what we've done is converted vacant classrooms and turned them into health clubs. this is a free program. we have personal trainers. opticians that work with them. we allow each individual child to set their own goals. >> pamela is my hero because she always is helping me to do things that i never thought i can do. >> we instill these habits in them early, then they will grow up and become healthier adults. that's really what this is all about, faith in the lives of children.
6:16 pm
6:17 pm
6:18 pm
i was excited. the parents and children were excited. >> reporter: but when the youngsters showed up at the pool june 29th after the day camp signed and paid a $1,900 contract, this happened. >> the children came running down the hill saying miss wright, miss wright, those people up there are saying what are those brat kids doing in the pool? >> reporter: 12-year-old marcus allen is her son. says he was sitting outside the pool and heard white adults say this. >> he was like, oh, why are
6:19 pm
these black kids here? then he was saying, oh, i'm afraid they might do something to my children because i don't know if they might try to steal some of my stuff or might try to like harm my children. and like i was amazed that they were saying something like this because we were just like you. like we're just like your kids. >> not enough room? >> reporter: mrs. wright says the swim club's director told her he was embarrassed, held an emergency board meeting, and called her back the next day to say they could not come back. >> and he said the membership said let the chips fall where they may. >> you know, marcus, i see tears coming down your face. why does this make you cry? >> because it's kind of like sad that like people are still thinking like this. i thought it was over. >> this is 2009. children should not be subjected to that. >> reporter: the swim club's director is quoted by local media as saying the day camp
6:20 pm
kids changed the "atmosphere and complexion of the club." a club member reacted. >> i'll be asking for the president of the club's resignation today because i think the comment that he made, although taken out of context, was probably one of the stupidest comments i ever heard. >> reporter: he claims the club was simply overcrowded, not racist. he said two other unidentified day camps, both non-minority, also got the boot. senator arlen specter put the club on notice in a letter. "without getting into all of the legal issues, it is my suggestion you that promptly reinstate the contract and welcome ms. alethea wright's group back to the pool. whether they accept is up to them." the club issued a response denying race had anything to do with their decision. "we underestimated the capacity of our facilities. our valley club deplores discrimination in any form." susan candiotti, cnn, hunting don valley, pennsylvania.
6:21 pm
>> our thanks to susan candiotti. we'd like to add this. susan spoke with the swim club's president shortly after filing that report. here's what he had to say. >> i apologize deeply for any misunderstanding. it was never our intention to hurt anyone or for anyone to be offended here. and this is a terrible misunderstanding. and i would actually -- i would send my best wishes to the camp and all the camps, really, because they have gotten an outpouring of support from all over the country -- >> and they deserve it. she's doing wonderful work, giving these children a safe place to be. which is what we were trying to do also. >> so we did a little digging. the outpouring that they're talking about, coming from the great people over at the gerard college in philadelphia. they've kindly opened their pool to the 65 campers for the rest of the summer. now, this story you may remember. donte' stallworth, nfl player, hit and killed a pedestrian, night of drinking, sentenced to just 30 days. more details. i'll clean the pool if you clean the windows.
6:22 pm
6:23 pm
6:24 pm
6:25 pm
6:26 pm
6:27 pm
6:28 pm
6:29 pm
pick the windows, pick the windows! anything but the windows. deal. oh! new windex outdoor all-in-one... cleans outdoor glass fast. just spray with water, wipe with a windex cleaning pad, and rinse for a streak-free shine in half the time. you're done? she pulled a fast one! ( laughs ) new windex outdoor all-in-one. a streak-free shine in half the time. s.c. johnson, a family company. i'm sorry. i can't hear you very well. announcer: does someone you know have trouble hearing on the phone? dad. dad, let me help you with that, okay? announcer: now, a free phone service shows captions of everything a caller says. i'd like to make an appointment to see the doctor. announcer: to learn more about captioned telephone, call 1-800-552-7724
6:30 pm
or go to our website. i'll see you at 3:00! announcer: captioned telephone - enjoy the phone again! you're an important part of this show. we want to know what you think. you can call us at 1-877-tell-hln. shoot us an e-mail at our website, cnn.com/primenews. or text your comment to hlntv. that's 45688. start your message with the word "prime." we'll be showing your text messages throughout the day. two politicians caught cheating on their wives. now we're just getting new shocking details about their steamy affairs. senator john ensign of nevada admits his mistress received nearly $100,000 but only as a "gift." did his family pay her off? and hundreds of e-mails just released on south carolina governor mark sanford and his other woman in argentina. state records show he cleared his schedule at least one
6:31 pm
evening on a state-funded trip. neither of these guys is stepping down. is this a new low even for washington? give us a call. 1-877-tell-hln. joining me now to talk about all this, alex wellen, a deputy editor at cnnpolitics.com. he's also author of the novel "lovesick." also with us, tara fields, a marriage and family therapist. and andy barr, a reporter at politico. andy, i want to start with you and this $100,000. now, i have seen cases with politicians and money being exchanged. in fact, it happened in new york not so long ago. but this is a little bit different than that, right? >> this is very different than that. the money comes from ensign's parents, who paid off $96,000 to the wife, to the husband, and to the two kids in $12,000 increments. also remember there was that $25,000 severance leave when she left his campaign organization. so a lot of money going back and forth very -- multiple payments over a long period of time.
6:32 pm
this is still kind of unraveling. >> still unraveling. give us a little background. these two -- these people knew each other, right? ensign and his wife knew his mistress and her husband. they worked for them. describe that relationship. because it's very unique. >> you're right. they worked and knew each other for years. both the mistress and the mistress's husband worked for ensign on the campaign and in his office there in nevada. so this was -- you know, lots of connections between the two. that's kind of the less seemly part of this is the wife new the mistrerks the mistress knew knew the wife and the husband is really the one driving the story, he's going around doing interviews with the las vegas sun all the time, he's out there trying to get other nekttworks report on this. he is really driving this story. so a lot of involvement. a lot of connection. >> unbelievable. alex, how do you think that phone call went? yeah, dad, i need $100,000. right? this is bizarre. is this only in vegas?
6:33 pm
>> well, it's a problem right getting this kind of impression of men and how they approach marriage and why you take somebody like senator ensign, who had a platform that stands on keeping promises, strong marriages, having a lot of religion in his family and being kind of the way that held the family together, and then you see something like this and it really shakes us kind of to our core and it really changes our perception of how we feel about men in marriage. >> tara, as we look at these men and what they're doing, they're in such high-profile positions. and this stuff becomes important. because it talks about character. when people are electing an official, for some people character means a lot. >> oh, absolutely. >> why do they risk it all, tara? >> well, for many reasons.
6:34 pm
lunch? address something else that your guest said these men are cheating with women. so they are just as culpable. these men couldn't cheat if these women were not available. and i think what really makes the story so just despicable is that with ensler is that the husband is going around saying wasn't this terrible but he is the one who's saying i'll accept the money. not only will i accept the money, saying that's what makes it go away, makes it okay, but i will accept it in my children's name. what kind of a message is that to give the next generation of little boys? >> unbelievable. alex, and these guys aren't stepping down. sanford's not going to step down after his argentina thing.
6:35 pm
and this guy's not stepping down. are we at a point now where the public is so used to this you just list the names, spitzer, bill clinton, he was president of the united states, i mean, we don't -- do we not care anymore, voters? >> to some extent it doesn't matter on what side of the political spectrum that this is happening. and it is a bit shocking when they don't necessarily step down given that their entire platform or their core of what they came to power and everything that was all about the way they run their lives and the way they run their administration has to deal with those very issues. but the real sish what is going to happen to the politicalers of these people. yes, maybe they stay in office, they get re-elected but probably not. and how are they going to be defined moving forward? these men in particular, and it's not only men that have this problem, but men in very public, powerful positions, their careers are going to be defined by this lack of credibility and this -- these indiscretions. >> and i just want to jump in
6:36 pm
here and say what people don't understand is it's not just that they had an affair, but these men are similar to people that have substance addictions. alcohol, drugs. because if someone's a love or a sex addict, they're not present with what they're doing. they're cheating to get their fix. they're lying. they are not really doing what they can do because their thoughts are about how do i get that next fix. so i don't think -- >> one thing, though, with sanford, it seems like he found his soulmate, although he's not with his soulmate, he's back trying to work things out with his wife. we've got much more to talk about on these sex scandals. we want to hear from you also. 1-877-tell-hln.
6:37 pm
6:38 pm
6:39 pm
sex scandals and politicians, it's nothing new. but it's still very confusing because these are people, these are men who have their eyes on bigger offices and want to become either president, senator, governor, and they want all this power. they want the admiration of the public. yet they keep getting caught up in these types of scandals. still with us is -- from the -- andy barr from politico. politico. one of those great websites. andy barr, governor sanford now, has he used tax money? has he used taxpayer money to fund his affairs? where is this investigation going now?
6:40 pm
>> there was one instance they found where he used taxpayer money to meet one his mistress. his office says they're going to pay that back. people are still combing through these documents, though. there are other rendezvouses. there are other examples where he got together with her, whether it was in the united states here or argentina. we're still kind of combing through those records to see when he may or may not have used some taxpayer funds to meet up with her. obviously, any instance of that beyond that initial one is just bad news for him. he's obviously going to have to pay it back and also may face had some charges in the state, maybe even some impeachment charges from the state senate there. >> alex, well, the whole thing is i was a prosecutor, and if someone came into court and said i robbed a bank but here, mr. prosecutor, here's the money, you can have it back now, can i go, i mean, is that what politicians think happen? you get caught, then you just pay them back? >> and i'm a lawyer as well. so i confess that up front. and i agree with you. i think that just because you're contrite, just because you reveal that you made a mistake or you're willing to pay back
6:41 pm
and make good, that doesn't necessarily fix the problem. ultimately, there may be a lot of pressure on these individuals to step down. if they choose not to, they've done huge, huge damage to the institution of marriage, to their constituency, to the country really because they sent a message out there saying while i believe one thing i necessarily may do another. and there is -- there's a hypocrisy associated with that. and i'll tell you this much. the interviews that i did recently, and i've done dozens of interviews with men about marriage recently. many of the men in this country want commitment, want to have that type of relationship, dream of having a partner in their life. and it's a shame that when some of the highest positions in this country do something like this, this is like the most public image of marriage. >> and also, forget just the public. what are they modeling for their men in therapy who finally seeing the price
6:42 pm
they've paid for not dealing with feelings. and they want to be better fathers to their sons. and again-w both of these men i think about the damage to their so sons. sanford's sons, every single father's day they are going to have that reminder. >> absolutely. where was dad for father's day? let's take a phone call. we've got theresa in new york. theresa, you're on the air. >> caller: the problem is that marriage has become a business and the love is not -- the love is there, but are they don't get into one another anymore. >> i think i know what you mean there, teresa. and tara, how about that? the fact that maybe there has to be this public face of what the marriage should be, and even though we're having problems and maybe though we should be apart they stay together a little bit longer to take the picture for the campaign photo? >> well, i think that's true, and i also think that it's really important for women to set boundaries and be a good role model as well.
6:43 pm
you know, i can predict when a couple comes in to therapy and there's been an affair within the first session which couple can make it and which can't. you know, the man who comes in and says, oh, well, you know, gee, i'm just going to try, i don't really love you. or the one who comes in and says, this is terrible, this is shameful, i will do whatever it takes to make it work, and even though this was an awful thing maybe it's a wake-up call for us to realize there were problems within the marriage. >> all right. tara, andy, and alex, we're out of time. thanks so much to all of you. have a great night. so there's been talk that michael jackson is getting trashed by the media. that includes members of his familyish his friends. but what do you think? is the king of pop getting a bad rap? give us a call. 1-877-tell-hln.
6:44 pm
6:45 pm
6:46 pm
the death of michael jackson has been all over the news, but some people aren't happy with the coverage and say the media are trashing the late pop icon. "prime news" correspondent richelle carey is taking a closer look in our weekly feature, "what matters." >> all right, vinnie, more on michael jackson in just a few minutes. first, good news. when it comes to our economy, african-americans are getting help to sort through the president's economic stimulus plan. the congressional black caucus foundation has put together a resource guide that highlights the plan's impact on the black community, especially when it comes to employment, housing, and health care. the guide shows which areas are receiving money to stimulate the economy. shocking news when it comes to fighting cancer. a first of its kind study published in the "journal of the national cancer institute" says african-americans are less likely than whites to survive breast cancer, prostate, and ovarian cancer, even when they received identical treatments. researchers say the findings add
6:47 pm
to growing evidence that biological factors may play a role in the survival gap. michael jackson. he was a lot of things. singer, dancer, philanthropist, criminal suspect. all of these things have been discussed in the days after his death. but have the media focused more on the negative than the positive? some think so. >> i have seen other musical icons die where there were serious questions about them and i've never seen it dominate the news before their funeral and dominate it to the point that people forgot their greatness. and even now a lot of those answers never came about about allegations in their life, and we still exalt their artistry. all we're asking for is fairness. >> all right. joining me now, brian mondroe, cnn contributor. he also conducted the last interview with michael jackson. and lauren lake, cnn reporter and attorney.
6:48 pm
after that reverend sharpton went on to say that he soos a double standard when you compare michael jackson to people like elvis, frank sinatra, and some of the negative things that happened in their lives. what do you guys think? lauren, you go first. >> you know, in a way there is a double standard. i mean, i think this time around they are doing a number on michael jackson. i feel like a lot of emphasis is being focused on things that weren't proven like the sexual abuse charges, versus things that are proven. his philanthropy, the way he's broken down racial barriers, his music business savvy and the way that he just really blew us away with his talent. so i feel like in a way we need to back up off of him for a minute and think of this man like if it was our own uncle, our own father. we don't want to hear all the things they did wrong upon their death. we want to talk about and celebrate the things they did right. >> brian, what's your take on it? >> i think i would agree to some extent. i think reverend sharpton made a fine point that there was too much focus on the negative. and then you had on the other side the congressman from new
6:49 pm
york, peter king -- >> sure. >> -- who not only indicted but convicted the man of charges that he was actually acquitted on, by calling him a pervert and other really salacious terms, after the fact that michael was acquitted of all 14 of those charges back during the trial in santa barbara. but you know, michael jackson -- and i saw this when i sat down with him. was one of the most complex people i've ever talked to. a brilliant, brilliant creative force. he knew music. he knew literature. he was also an amazing talented dancer. he would get calls from his mentor, fred astaire, who i remember he told me once about michael calling him after -- i mean he calling michael after the famous motown 25 performance and just saying he watched that night, he recorded it, he watched it the next morning, and he knocked people's socks off. >> all right. >> he was also a father. and a brother. he was complicated. >> all right. let's get in a caller right now. i believe our caller, is it linda or mary who's calling right now?
6:50 pm
okay. linda's calling us from nevada. linda, what do you think? >> caller: what i think is just they are trashing him. the question of the parentage of his business. number two they're asking people about what they said, somebody said this but there's no proof. the person who said he was taking 50 xanax and walking around, that's not true. i'm an rn and i work with drug addicts, that is not a true statement. >> okay. linda, thank you for your phone call. i think some people are talking about the tabloid coverage, lauren and brian, but we got to be real. there's also a death investigation here that could end up being a crim federal investigation. these are some things that are not pretty that fans may not want to talk about but where does that fit into the discussions, where does that fit into the reporting, brian? >> there are serious issues at stake, were there doctors involved that may have overprescribed him medication or helped get prescriptions in other people's names. serious issues about, you know,
6:51 pm
was he pushing himself too hard at the end or was he, in fact, as i talked to people who were there rehearsing with him on the last days getting ready for the concert, that he was in top form, energetic, passionate, outdancing some of the 25-year-olds and there's a lot of things that will be looked into over the next few days. the one thing, look, i'm trained as a journalist. you're a journalist. we have to go by first what did we see, observe, what did we report and what did we get from reputable sources we can stake our reputation on and now the hearsay and all the other things floating around. there's a lot of that floating around. but we have to keep focused on what do we know or know from reputable sources. >> lauren and brian, don't go anywhere. what do you think? are the media trashing michael jackson? we know you have views on this. call 1-877-tell-hln.
6:52 pm
6:53 pm
6:54 pm
[ music ] >> welcome to comcast local edition, i'm donna richardson, and my guest this hour is christine bergmark who is the executive director of the southern maryland agricultural development commission. welcome, christine, it's good to have you here. >> thank you for having me. >> that's a big mouthful, and i know that you're working on an extremely exciting program, bi-local challenge. >> it is an initial that we
6:55 pm
launched two years ago, and essentially what it is is the last full week of july we ask everyone across the state of maryland and beyond to take a pledge, and the pledge is eat something or drink from a farm every day during that week. >> oh. so where do we get the information about where to find the farms or how do we sign up for this pledge? >> well, there's a website. it's www.by-local-challenge.com that website will give you all sorts of information why to buy local and where to buy local and it connects you to other statewide initiatives that are going on at the same time. if you go to the website, we've added a count. people used to say, where do i sign up? normally you have to go buy, eat something from a local farm. this year we decided to add a counter to the website.
6:56 pm
when you are' counted, you can receive a certificate with your name on it that you can put up in your office or your home or wherever. >> which is very, very important. it's reduces your carbon foot print because you're driving hopefully a shorter distance, you have access to local products that are available, and also it helps the farmers. >> well, and in fact, our theme this year is healthy plate, healthy planet. all kinds of benefits to buying local, benefits for you, healthy, nutrition, it's fresh, and preserving our farms survive, we keep clean water, we keep clean air, we reduce the carbon footprints from things traveling 1500 miles, and it tastes good. >> exactly. now for those people who may not cook, how can they be a part of this? >> yeah, sometimes people say, well, i hate to cook. that's okay. you can go to a store or to a
6:57 pm
restaurant that features local farm products, and there are more and more restaurants every year, some of them are on our website, and you can click throughout to find out who they are,. >> what kind of items can we acquire localfully. >> during the last week of july, there is so much product available. there's sweet corn, blackberries, all kinds of tomatoes and melons are in season, and of course, there's always wine, cheese, eggs, meatss. >> so we do have a wide variety of things we can get. say that i go and i go to a local farmer's market and purchase something, what is a vegetable that i'm not quite familiar with, how did i find a recipe. >> excellent question. there are recipes on our website. people can post their own
6:58 pm
recipes of their own events and own blogs by why they buy local. some of the things i wanted to mention is the economic benefits. we talked about the planet, we talked about the fact that it tastes good, and it's fun, but there's also the benefit of supporting our farms, and if every household in the state mucofmaryland were to buy just 2 worth of products for 8 weeks, basically the summer season that, would put $200 million straight back into the pockets of our farmers. that would do a lot to keep our farmers thriving. >> which is so important. i know we have less than 30 seconds, but you have some partners that you wouldn't typically think of who have now joined in. >> yes. hospitals are joining in this year. fact, they're looking to do a competition to see how many people they can get involved. >> have you exciting. christine, thank you very much for coming in today. >> thank you.
6:59 pm
>> my guest today has been christine bergmark with the southern agricultural commission. if you're interested in what comcast is doing in your area, go to on demand and click get local. for comcast local edition, i'm donna richardson. [ music ]@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

90 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on